Prathishta / Presiding Deity : Varaha Moorthy
Upadevatha / Sub Deities : xx
Trustee: Azheekal Sree Varaha Devaswom, Cherai
The temple was established in 1565 A.D by Azheekal Yogakkars (G. S. Brahmins of Vypeen) and the Pratishta was done by Swami Yadavendra Tirtha, first Pontiff of Shri Kashi Mutt. It is believed to be the first GSB temple in Travancore-Cochin area.
Presiding Deity: Sree Varaha Moorthy. Sree Venkatachalapathy with Lakshmi Devi and Bhoomi Devi on left/right side is also installed in the Srikovil. Sree Varaha and Sree Venkateswara installed side by side and worshiped as single moorthy.
The temple has a large open ground in the front, not available in other gsb temples in Kerala, and typical of major temples of Kerala like Trichur, Ettumanoor and Kottayam.
The temple has a covered Seevelipura (a roofed pathway) as seen in picture around the nalambalam. Such a structure is not seen in other temples. Lord is taken around the temple along the Seevelipura. The devotees also can go around even in rain.
The dwaja with decorated roof (dwaja mandapam) with wood carvings is a unique feature of this temple. The Dwaja was constructed in 1900 AD.
Seven of the families who migrated to Cochin from Goa in 16th century settled in Azheekal in the Vypeen island near Cochin. A wealthy merchant among them, Krishna Prabhu, was in possession of two idols - Sree Varaha and Sree Vithoba. Both these idols were temporarily installed at Azheekal and worshipped. Sree Varaha soon became the Gramadevata of the Azeekal community. Krishna Prabhu purchased extensive plots of land at Vypeen from Paliyath Achan. A new temple was constructed at Azheekal and the idol was consecrated in 1565 AD by Sri Yadavendra Tirtha Swamiji, the first pondiff of Kashi Mutt. The temple came to be known as Sree Varaha temple.
At the first settlement, four temples were installed at Azheekal. Sree Varaha, Sree Vitobha - Kasyapa gotra, Betala - Kaudinya gotra, Sree Gopalakrishna - Bharadwaja gotra.
The Sree varaha temple was situated one and a half km to the west of present Mallikarjuna temple at Vypeen near the St. Teresas Church. This place is known as Teresa's Strait - now a tract of shallow water. On eastern side of the temple was the Paliyam Katchery. On the southern and northern sides were the small temples of Sree Vitobha and Sree Betala respectively. The Sree Gopalakrishna temple was at Elankunnapuzha.
The Gopalakrishna temple was later shifted to Ernakulam. The idol of Betala was shifted to Cherai and installed in the house of Anantha Vadyar.
The idols in the temple at Azheekal were stolen in 1723 AD and could not be traced. Efforts were made to cast new idols in Panchaloha but were found defective. So, the mahajans of Azheekal approached the Cochin temple and got two idols of Venkatachapathy and Mahalakshmi and were installed in the temple in 1724 AD. Extensive plots of land and properties were donated to the temple by 32 families of the Yogakkars for the daily expenses. Meanwhile, the stolen idols were recovered and it was also installed in the temple by the side of SreeVenkateswara. With new Prathista, Sree Venkatachalapathy was given more importance and the annual flag festival was celebrated only for Him. In 1857 AD, there was a major fire in the temple. However, the temple was re-constructed shortly after.
The temple at Azheekal was close to sea shore. Due to continuous sea erosion and high tides, the temple and the local community suffered many losses. Many Yogakkars left the place in 1866 AD and migrated to nearby places like Kuzuppally, Cherai, Ernakulam in Cochin state and also to places in Travancore state. The mahajans purchased land in Cherai in 1867 AD and constructed Agrasala and installed the idols shifted from Azheekal. The old temple at Azheekal was also dismantled and brought to Cherai.
A temple was then constructed and Prathista done in 1880 AD. This was also attended by Paliyath Achan representing the Maharaja of Cochin. The eastern gopura, Anapandal, Agrasalas, the temple tank (Sree Varaha Pushkarani) were subsequently constructed. The Vahanas - Aswavahana, Simhavahana, Hastivahana and Garudavahana were also constructed and dedicated to the deities.
In 1897 AD, the temple was struck by lightning. A devaprasnam was conducted and as revealed, Sree Varaha Swamy was treated as the presiding deity and annual flag festival commenced to be celebrated for Him also, since 1898 AD.
The temple owns paddy fields in Kumbalangi near Thuravoor. The fields are leased out every year for acquaculture and earns income to run the temple
The festival take place twice in a year. The Ratholsav is a speciality and attended
by devotees in large numbers. The chariot is pulled around the temple by devotees.
It is located in the Vypeen island of Cochin about 25 kms from Cochin city. By road
it is one hour from Ernakulam via the newly built Gosree bridges or one can have
the boat from High Court Jetty or Fort Cochin to Vypeen and is 40 min by bus from
Vypeen. The temple is about 100m from Cherai junction.